On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Christopher K.  St.  John wrote:

>  Re-architecting Tomcat yet again is a bad step if it's not
> absolutely necessary. I have some reservations. To keep from
> confusing the issue, I'll list them in separate messages.

It's not re-architecting tomcat - AFAIK 5.0 is just a normal
evolution of the existing architecture(s).

Coyote is already used, and we should try to make sure most of the
code that works today with either 3.3 or 4.0 will work with 5.0.
The only change in Coyote that is needed is in the Action area,
to better support this.

> > while at the same time adding support for the new Servlet
> > API 2.4 and JSP 2.0 specifications
> >

>  Reservation #1: There is a new architecture being proposed,
> but since the 2.4 API isn't out yet, all the requirements aren't
> available. So there's no intelligent way to judge if the
> architecture fits well with the primary requirement (which is
> being a good 2.4 container)

Most of the proposal refers to the lower layer, and I hope the
2.4 API will not do any crazy things - we are already stretching
the limits on server integration.