Because I need features in Tomcat 4.1.x I have been putting each new version into
production.  There are 2 instances running 4.1.9 with Jasper 2, and one instance
running 4.1.8 with Jasper 1.

This last instance gets heavy use, 2-3 million tomcat JSP/Servlet requests per month.
With spikes 4 times a week of 10-20k requests per hour.  This also uses DBCP very
heavily.

Tracking Tomcat 4.1.x releases but using Jasper 1 (customer isn't ready to switch yet)
I haven't been able to get much better than 7-10 days runtime before Tomcat fails or
Tomcat
requires a restart due to a memory leak.  Several months ago I had a run of 4 weeks w/o
a failure and w/o a memory leak.

MEMORY LEAK
-----------

I have a sneaking suspicion there is a small memory leak in Tomcat 4.1.x.
This appears to have been introduced sometime in the last couple of months.
This is not due to javac & JSP page compiles because jikes is being used as
an external page compiler.

When I get some time I may try setting up a test server with the customers app
and use optimizeit to try and track down the memory leak.

JASPER 2 JSP Page Comiles
-------------------------

I would also like to see Jasper 2 changed so that JSP page compiles occur
externally outside of the Tomcat4 JVM process.  There are two reasons for
this:

1.  The known memory leak with javac.

2.  Removing the extra stress to the Tomcat 4 JVM instance due to javac object
     creation and GC of those objects.

Moving JSP page compiles outside of the Tomcat JVM will improve performance
and reliability.

Regards,

Glenn