On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Patrick Luby wrote:

> Costin,
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Patrick ( if you read this ) - what's the status with the 'guess home' ?
> > I can use IntrospectionUtils - it has the whole thing in it ( home/base
> > setting, find in classpath ). We already need IU for jk - it just needs
> > to be included in bootstrap.jar to do that.
> >

> I haven't ported this yet but I can do it very quickly. The question is
> where should we put it? Originally, I was going to put it in the
> Bootstrap.getCatalinaHome() method. However, since we are moving towards
> using CatalinaService, do you think I should put it there?

Probably Bootrstrap is the best place - since it needs to construct the
classpath to load CatalinaService ( so it needs it ).

If you just include IntrospectionUtil from j-t-c you get it all -
( it is used in jk already ). All you need ( besides build.xml changes )
is:

 home= IntrospectionUtils.guessInstall("catalina.home", "catalina.base",
                                       "bootstrap.jar",
                            "org.apache.catalina.startup.CatalinaService");

That will set catalina.home/catalina.base:
-  if only one is set the other will take that value.
-  if none is set, it'll look in CLASSPATH for bootstrap.jar and go one
level up, or for org/apache... if classes/ is used - and set catalina.home
fromt that.

You don't need to port it - it is useable directly. ( well, you can
cut&paste the method if you want, it's independent of the rest )