Henri Gomez wrote:

>> With JDK1.4 - this is not possible anyway ( unless reverse loader
>> is used to load org.apache.xalan classes ).
>
> Interesting point here, will it be possible when using jdk 1.4
> to use a specific xalan at least for webapp ?

It is certainly possible to use a different xslt ( saxon, etc ) - using
the normal jaxp discovery.

It should be possible to use a different version of xalan - if a
non-delegating class loader is used ( since org.apache.xalan is in
rt.jar ).

>> Just put xalan in common, it won't be worse :-) ( or use 1.4 )
>
> So we'll have to put xalan/xerces in commons ?

It's easier.

> May be time to upgrade the build to xerces-j 2.1.0, xalan 2.4.0
> and xml-commons 1.0 ?

One important note: if JDK1.4 is used, there is a whole issue with
'endorsed' system property. Cut&paste from catalina.sh is the best
solution, however I had some problems loading jni code from java
( with jdk1.4, if the endorsed property was set). Very strange, I
just worked around - but we may need to revisit.

>> The alternative is to put mx4j-tools in container and make sure
>> the right class loader is used ( i.e. explicitely pass the loader
>> when constructing the mbean - I think it is possible ).
>> But I wouldn't waste time with that.
>
> Ok, so you suggest to put jaxp + mx4j + mx4jtools in commons
> and warn users that their apps will have to use the commons JAXP,
> MX4J and MX4JTOOLS (since a webapp may also use mx4j for it's
> own purposes ?)

If you just want to play with mx interceptor - that may be the
best ( at least short-term ) solution.

Right now there isn't very much support - we need to add more
interesting info ( i.e. getters for status and config, etc - in
various interceptors ).

What I'm interested most is the jk-level components.

I'll send some proposals this week - I have some ideas here. As soon
as 4.1 is released I'll start some discussions on the new coyote hooks
and the new 'notes', I have some interesting ideas.