way to look at the process. I hope Will won't mind being quoted ;)

From: "Milt Epstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, August 23, 2002 10:11 AM
I mean, I understand (and sympathize with what you're saying), but I
also understand the position of those who want to wait until there's
"release"-quality code available. I mean, what will the typical
manager say after the production system breaks down and you tell them
that you went with "beta"-quality code instead of "release"-quality
code.

It's all a matter of expectations. I find that most people want the

system

to work and aren't really caught up on release numbers and labels.

Now, through probably painful experience, people have lower

expectations of

1.0 code, "Beta" code, etc. They pretty much expect it to fail in some,
perhaps critical, way. They may use the label as an indicator whether

the

code is worth testing.

But the real problem is not necessarily whether its Beta or Release
quality, it is the testing facilities available to the consumers.

If you had a deployed application and a solid, thorough feature and

load

test suite of your application, then it shouldn't matter what the back

end

code is labeled. If your test is complete and robust enough and thus
confirms that your application will behave as designed, then Release or
Beta are irrelevant.

The dark side of this is that folks will say "Well, gee I don't have to
'test' release code, it's already tested!".

To wit everybody falls over on the floor in hysterics.

The acceptance process for the software should be the same whether Beta

or

Release. No matter how thorough the testing by the folks developing the
application, no doubt they have NOT tested their software on YOUR
application with YOUR load conditions on YOUR hardware.

And it should go without saying that this applies to any major
infrastructure component in your application, not just Tomcat. Don't

just >blindly upgrade your system to Solaris 9, Oracle 9i and new
Firewall >software and then throw the application live because it's all
"release >quality" software.

There are disclaimers in those licenses for a reason. Caveat Emptor and

all

that.

Regards,

Will Hartung