Remy Maucherat wrote:
Henri Gomez wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> remm        2002/11/05 08:26:38
>
>   Modified:    http11/src/java/org/apache/coyote/http11
>                         InternalInputBuffer.java
>   Log:
>   - I think a 0 result is an error according to the JVM javadocs (we
> are using
>     InputStream.read(byte[], int, int)).

Under unix it means that the connection was closed by remote side...

You're not getting an IOE in that case ? That would have caused a loop.
The javadocs are very explicit on this, and 0 shouldn't even happen (I've never seen it on Windows, BTW) :-(
From my experience under Unix, I could say that it happends I got
a 0 from a read in a socket connection because the remote closed
the connection.

I don't know JVM implementators handle the case since man pages say that
many 'others error could occurs depending on the object which is read'

What I do usually when I read from a socket is to loop until I got a
-1 (native/java) or IOE (java).

So a Java read() should be valid until you got -1 or IOE.