To clarify, when I said I "consider" WARs as if they were EXEs, I mean that
in many cases I think it's good practice to have a WAR file that doesn't try
to modify itself internally (bit like having an EXE or whatever that
modifies its contents or self-modifying assembler code...).

Some webapps benefit from customisation, and are good candidates for
unpacking, others are best left as a single unit which store environment
settings externally.

My main gripe with the unpackWARs setting is that if WARs are unpacked, it
makes it more troublesome to upgrade, because a newer version of the WAR
file is ignored if any previous version has already been unpacked (until the
unpacked files are deleted).  If the WAR file is updated, it's *probably*
safe to assume that this was done voluntarily, and so any previous unpacked
version should be removed then replaced.

I don't really care if it's considered a deployment format or an executable
format ; whether it's unpacked on disk, in memory, or whatever is
irrelevant, as long as it works : it's up to the servlet engine to implement
this as it wants (given that JSPs need to be compiled, obviously something
needs to be created outside the WAR).

Having said that, if we're meant to deploy as unpacked files, why bother
with methods such as ServletContext.getResource() (when we could just use
getRealPath if we systematically unpacked these files) ?

- Chris