Jeanfrancois Arcand wrote:

>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm close to get JAAS realm and the memory LoginModule working - if I
>>remember correctly we agreed to make JAAS the default for 5.0 ( I don't
>>remember any objections ).
>>
> What about authorization :-) Righ now, the Realm implementation includes
> the 3 authorization methods:
>
> - hasRole
> - hasUserDataPermission
> - hasResourcePermission
>
> Those methods are currently implemented in RealmBase. Are you moving
> them also?

I don't think so. Those are specific to tomcat - not to JAAS.
My thinking was to have generic, common-like stuff that can be used
with any app using JAAS.

One of the requirements will be to return the Principals associated with
the Subject in a certain way - i.e. in a Group named "Roles". Or some
other pattern we can support.

hasRole can be implemented on top of this, the other 2 are a different
story.

>>If a Principal of type "java.security.acl.Group" is found - named "Roles"
>>- we'll treat all the Principlas in that Group as roles. ( the old
>>mechanism should still be supported, of course )
>>
> +1 We will have to document this new feature. I see lot of question on
> tomcat-user.....

Actually - another idea would be to return a Group ( which extends
Principal) from getUserPrincipal().

The name of the group will be the same as the primary identity ( the
username ), so all code will get the same behavior as today ( when we
return the GenericPrincipal - but nobody can call the methods since it
can't cast ).

Since it is a group and it can be cast, users will also be able to get
info about the roles.