Costin Manolache wrote:
Bill Barker wrote:

Ok, yes I know that this should go to commons-dev, but I don't monitor
that list as closely and all of the active developers hang-out here.

I would like to make some changes to native/unix/native, and (keeping with
commons conventions) should ask first.  I already have commons-sandbox
karma, so that's not an issue.

1) I want to call setsid (on platforms that support it) after the detach,
since evil things happen if I don't (at least on RH Linux).
2) I want to add a -outfile and -errfile to the config options (consistant
with procrun, and both defaulting to /dev/null).  stdin will get
redirected to /dev/null, and stdout & stderr will get redirected to the
values of the
variables.  If I can get it to work, I'd also like to add the special
values
"&1" and "&2" to simulate "2>&1".  As it stands now, manually stopping and
starting Tomcat with jsvc hangs my ssh session on logout, since it still
has open files to the pty.
3) Modify Tomcat.sh to reflect the changes in 2) (e.g. add:
   -outfile $CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out \
   -errfile &1 \
   ).

+1

I know this has been discussed several times - but wouldn't be time to move
the daemon back to tomcat ?

I have already explain why I am against this idea. I would like to see daemon promoted to common-daemon. For the moment I am trying to fix the stop of procrun in win9x.

BTW: I have added reflexion and now daemon could be used to start Tomcat5.
and would like to see daemon promote to common-daemon.

Maybe we made a mistake by trying to move it to
commons, it doesn't seem to gain a lot of developers or users outside
tomcat.