Hi,

I'd like to make a small proposal to do property replacement. Included are changes that should be made in the digester, and that I'll post on commons-dev if I have approval.

- Add a get/setProperty to Container. This would allow a property inheritance across containers, similar to Tomcat 3.3 features as described by Bill.

- Add the two introspectionUtil replaceProperties methods to the digester, along with a way to set the array of PropertySource globally for a digester instance. The replaceProperties will be called automagically if the standard set properties rule is added to an element, and will check all attributes for possible property replacement.

- Additionally, we could add the "set all properties" rule to digester, which would attempt to call a setProperty method on an object to set properties which have no designated setter. I'm mixed on this: we need something like that for the Connector, but this is a very specific situation, and may be abused in the general case.

- Note: The properties used will not be saved when using save-to-XML from the admin. If anyone has an idea on how to make it work, let me know ;-) (anyway, save-to-XML should probably be rewritten in a non hackish and flexible fashion, but this can wait)

Comments ?

Remy