Dan Johnsson wrote:

Jess Holle wrote:

Tim Funk wrote:

Section 5.5 of the spec:
When a response is closed, the container must immediately flush all remaining content in the response buffer to the client. The following events indicate that the servlet has satisfied the request and that the response object is to be closed:
/.../
* • The amount of content specified in the setContentLength method of the response has been written to the response. *

That's what I figured. I'm just a bit uncertain about the corner/end case where nothing is to be written to the response, i.e. for a content-length of 0. \

It becomes clearer to me if I rephrase "The amount /.../ has been written /.../" to the in this context supposedly equivalent "At least the amount /.../ has been written /.../". Then the special case of 0 becomes: "At least zero bytes have been written to the response." which is indisputably true, and thus the response object is to be closed.

I am absolutely in agreement that Tomcat is in line with the letter of the spec here.

I just think that the a few more letter should really present as it seems inappropriate for a setContentLength(0) to commit a response.

--
Jess Holle