TANAKA Yoshihiro wrote:
on Tue, 6 Jan 2004 16:48:47 -0600
Glenn Nielsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'll try to modify as follows:

1)Make new classes extend HTMLManagerServlet & ManagerServlet.
2)These servlets are optional. (commented out in web.xml)
3)Only admin role can access them. (by web.xml)

Do you think I've it figured out?

That sounds right. :-)

I've done and put them on http://www.ytp.ne.jp/tech/tomcat/manager/index.html

I modified existing classes to allow them to be extended,
but did not change their functions.
Also I create a new build file for Deployer named 'build-muti.xml'
cause of security.

I hope committers evaluate and commit them.

While I appreciate the effort, I don't like your patch right now, sorry :-(

Why add complexity when it is so simple to deploy the manager webapp on a new host ? Note: A webapp doesn't use any noticeable amount of resources in TC 5 (no background thread, no nothing).
I suppose if there weren't all the changes to the default manager, I would have nothing against the patch (although I do hate the changes to the Ant tasks; it's really counter productive, and proves this is a bad design: the place of the vhost is in the URL).

Soon, there will be requests to add host management in the manager webapp, and it will become a big mess. If there's interest in improving the management tools, fine, but there should be a thinking process before the hacking starts.

Fixes were added a few days ago to the admin webapp to support dynamic host creation. This is a first step. It should then be possible to add a manager to a newly created host using the admin webapp (and then you're done, no hacks required). The biggest problem is probably that the admin webapp is not scriptable at all.

Rémy