Remy Maucherat wrote:

Here are some new proposals.

1) Optimization of the session implementation.
The session is not a thread safe object. In Tomcat, the session implementation is partially thread safe for some reason (this has been like that since Tomcat 4.0, AFAIK). As a result, we can remove some synchronization. The code should also be simplified (fewer HashMap lookups - ex: remove will return the removed object if there was one, so removeAttribute should be a lot simpler), and avoid event object allocations when it is not useful. As a result of this, setAttribute will become much faster.
In addition to this, I will experiment with fixing bug 26051, and will need to add a new endAccess method to the Session interface to do this.
All this are rather high risk changes, and should not be ported to 4.1.x.

Any and all performance improvements would be greatly appreciated.

For those who have not seen it, Sun is touting their "SunONE is better performed / more scalable than Apache 2 + Tomcat" benchmark. While Tomcat and mod_jk[2]'s sole goal is not to scale and perform every bit as well as every other web server / servlet engine alternative and benchmarks are often full of lies, I think it is in everyone's best interest to keep an eye out for opportunities to ensure Tomcat 5 remains competetive in terms of performance and scalability.

--
Jess Holle