One other thing.
Don't know if that would solve the amount of fake list subscription, but
perhaps the mechanism like one on bugzilla (for creating accounts) would
help.
I know it would require lot of work to implement that, but IMO it will stop
the auto subscribe programs.
The other solution would be to make a 'black-list' for certain subscribers.
Take a look for a radgametools.com for example. Seems they have auto
subscriber, so who will loose the temper you or a computer program?
For such users we can make a 'black-list' that will need list moderator
subscribe approval, if the program tries to subscribe again once moved to
'black-list'.
In such cases you (as a list moderator) will be able to exchange few emails
making sure that the subscriber understands the rules implied.

MT.