----- Original Message -----
From: "Remy Maucherat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 12:47 PM
Subject: Re: cvs commit:
jakarta-tomcat-connectors/util/java/org/apache/tomcat/util/http/mapper
Mapper.java MappingData.java

Remy Maucherat wrote:
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>>> luehe       2004/03/16 11:24:59
>>>
>>>  Modified:    util/java/org/apache/tomcat/util/http/mapper Mapper.java
>>>                         MappingData.java
>>>   Log:
>>>   Fix for Bugzilla 27664 ("Welcome files not found in combination with
>>>   jsp-property-group")
>>>     Rather than having the JspServlet know about welcome files, the
>>> mapper
>>>   algorithm has been amended to search for welcome files in URI spaces
>>>   that match a url-pattern in a jsp-property-group.
>>>     Please review carefully and let me know what you think.
>>

>> Obviously I hate it.
>> Since when the mapper must have JSP stuff in it ?

My opinion is much like Remy's here.

>> It just shows the specification is broken.
>
> And to think you're likely going to do something even uglier to fix
> "bug" 27704.
> I can't wait ;)
>
> Seriously: the specification needs to be fixed, as I do not plan to
> integrate these changes in any release.
>
> I thought about something a little bit cleaner to address the "bugs". I
> think you need to remove the extra servlet mappings for the JSP servlets
> jsp-property-group. Then add something to the context valve (calling a
> utility class to do the "mapping" = change the servlet from the default
> servlet or other to the JSP servlet if it matches a jsp-property-group;
> the algorithms are very similar to filter mapping). Unfortunately, the
> request dispatcher will also have to call this utility class :( This
> adds a significant amount of complexity in the servlet layer ...

Since from section 3.3 of the JSP spec, jsp-property-groups are translation
time mappings, the only "clean" solution I can see would be to implement
something like the TC 3.3 JspInterceptor (obviously, changed to a JspValve
:) that would handle the pre-compilation checks with the required
jsp-property-group applied.  This would still be bending the spec a bit, but
not as much as this patch does.

> I can suggest sensible erratas to the specification if you need them.
>
> Rémy

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) listed above as the
intended recipient(s), and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and
CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are not an intended recipient, you may not read, copy, or
distribute this message or any attachment. If you received this communication in
error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and then delete all copies of this
message and any attachments.

In addition you should be aware that ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail sent through the
Internet is not secure. Do not send confidential or sensitive information, such as
social security numbers, account numbers, personal identification numbers and
passwords, to us via ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail.