Hi,
I read the original thread again.  Some of Costin's objections are no
longer relevant (e.g. Struts and log4j moving out of Jakarta).  Some of
the pro-community arguments (paraphrased as tomcat brings more
visibility to other jakarta projects) I don't think change if tomcat is
its own top-level project.

So while I don't have any strong objections, I also don't have a strong
pro reason to do it.  For log4j I strongly agreed with the reasoning and
was involved with the whole process: we want to do common stuff for
logging services across languages, hence jakarta is not the ideal place
and a TLP is.  But tomcat is Java.  The connectors aren't 100% java in
some cases, but that's not enough to make tomcat leave jakarta.

I think in the Ant and Struts cases, there is a correlation between
project maturity and popularity and the migration from jakarta into a
TLP.  By that criteria I think tomcat can also make the move.  This is
of course subjective.  Maven is strange, I agree with Costin's -1 vote
on their becoming a TLP when they did.

So after all that discussion, until I hear some articulate pro reasons,
I'm 0 on the vote (absolute 0, not +0 or -0, if that's possible ;)).

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics

and notify the sender.  Thank you.