Remy Maucherat wrote:

I think you're mixing the Java side with the native side. I think the Java side should obviously use JMX to monitor what's going on with Tomcat. However, the native side will just recieve proprietary messages.
We have to keep the native side as small and simple as possible to get into the HTTPD codebase.

No, I'm only talking about the C side. Let's call it C-JMX.

Instead of yet-another "small and simple" connector that grows out of control, it may be better to learn a lesson from java and apply it in C.
Jk and Jk2 ( and mod_jserv ) all started "small and simple", then got more and more features and fixes.

If we start with "just add custom proprietary messages for every feature we want to implement" - the code will soon become very complex. Most of the messages are not in the critical path, so using a JMX model of get/set/event is reasonable.

Monitoring and controlling the native code from java is IMO quite usefull and important by itself. Even Apache supports limited monitoring ( SNMP, mod_status, etc ).