Graham Leggett wrote:

Filip Hanik (lists) wrote:

why are we so focused on dynamic this dynamic that,

This thread is focused on the dynamic features, and was split out from the thread on the new work on ajp. Whether we do the dynamic features now or later isn't important, what is important is that any discussion happens separately from the ajp one. Please don't mix the issues back together again, otherwise we just end up with more confusion :(

Well, you may keep the discussion separated, but the code will eventually be mixed.

The reason I want to focus on dynamic cluster is that it does have a direct impact on the config format and code.

If you look at tomcat5, jboss, etc - for dynamic configuration you need to design the software in a certain way. It's ok if the first versions will not have this feature, but every time you use pull to get config data, or set up some data structure - you need to think a bit how it will work with dynamic updates.

One example - it would be better to use a syntax where the actual list of hosts in a cluster is stored in a separate file, that can be rewritten independently of httpd.conf ( like htpasswd ). If we don't do that - we'll either have to regenerate httpd.conf, or to add this later ( and confuse people with 2 ways to do something ), or have a lot of pain implementing it.

If you can sometimes rewrite the code - the config format is very hard to change after people get used to. A lot in httpd.conf is from ncsa days. So for the stuff we add to mod_proxy - I think it is very important to think twice about where we want to go.