Graham Leggett wrote:

> Costin Manolache wrote:
>

> So the alternative in the mean time is to make the
> communication between httpd and tomcat dynamic, so as to get
> the httpd people used to the idea that dynamic config is a
> good thing. :)

True, we will for start need only tree dynamic scenarios:
A. Backend reports "I'm to busy, get a life doode"
B. Backend reports "I'm going down, no more new sessions please"
The third is from admin:
C. Add and extra node to this balancer, or remove existing.

Only the third case needs dynamic admin interface. The first two can come
either from X-headers or AJP14.
The easiest would be to add an extra handler to the lb.
So:
<Location /xxxxx>
   SetHandler proxy-balancer-status
   ...Security stuff...
</Location>

This can even be a separate module using some APR_OPTIONAL_FN exposed by
proxy_balancer, giving a simple html form to admins, probably even changing
balancer factors etc... (first two cases).
Since the module will use api exposed by the balancer any later
implementation in httpd core will be possible.

MT.