Costin Manolache wrote:

Remy Maucherat wrote:

No, you misunderstood.

- jakarta-tomcat-5.5.0.zip - for JRE 5.0, no Admin
- jakarta-tomcat-5.5.0.tar.gz -  for JRE 5.0, no Admin
- jakarta-tomcat-5.5.0.exe - for Windows, everything

- jakarta-tomcat-5.5.0-compat.zip - for JRE 1.4 (a few additional JARs, not the whole thing)
- jakarta-tomcat-5.5.0-compat.tar.gz - for JRE 1.4, no Admin

You mean mx4j ? I'm not sure about having the main target be a JRE beta,

The said JRE 5 adds a lot of extremely useful features for servers (good Linux 2.6 support, adequate monitoring, easy deadlock debugging), and should be out of beta at about the same time as a 5.5.x stable, right ?
For the first time, the improvements are more useful than a performance increase :)
This will help a lot for support.

but I understand your point, it's cleaner this way. The alternative would be to have a 1.4 distro, with mx4j jars included, and detect at
runtime if it's 1.5 and skip them from the loader.

I suspect people will keep using 1.4 and 1.5 for a while, as usual there are incompatibilities - so it's better to be able to use the same tomcat with both.

Please make sure "target=1.3" is present in all javac tasks :-)

Shouldn't we support only JRE 1.4 and 5.0 instead ? I would be able to replace jakarta-regexp use with Java regexp. Obviously people who don't want to upgrade (ex: I saw a really funny thread on tomcat-user about a guy who wants JMX runtime stats on 4.1.x, like the ones that were in 5.0.x) aren't going to upgrade to this new branch, because of API breakage.

Rémy