Remy Maucherat wrote:

Costin Manolache wrote:

Remy Maucherat wrote:

Please make sure "target=1.3" is present in all javac tasks :-)

Shouldn't we support only JRE 1.4 and 5.0 instead ? I would be able to replace jakarta-regexp use with Java regexp. Obviously people who don't want to upgrade (ex: I saw a really funny thread on tomcat-user about a guy who wants JMX runtime stats on 4.1.x, like the ones that were in 5.0.x) aren't going to upgrade to this new branch, because of API breakage.

I'm using 1.3 most of the time, there is a _lot_ of software out there that doesn't work in jdk1.4 and won't work in jdk1.5 either. Not to mention companies having policies and supporting only one VM ( so they
don't have to deal with all the incompatibilities between versions ).

I'm personally -1 on droping support for 1.3 ( well, I would be +1 on supporting J2ME or 1.1 as a baseline :-).

Well, that's your opinion, and you have one vote (I'll be sure to call a vote on that). This no longer makes any sense to me.

+1 for the vote. :-) I'm in favor of requiring j2se 5.0 (but I work at Sun so I might have a couple of bad habits ;-) )

-- Jeanfrancois

Even compiling software with jdk1.5 or loading it in an IDE is problematic.

I think we should value stability more than featurism - and value flexibility and modularity more than bloat.

I don't see why cleaning up useless depedencies gets labelled as "featurism". OTOH, it seems to me it reduces bloat.
JRE 1.4.2 is now very stable, so there are no stability concerns.

Rémy