I would *guess* that those not bothering to move from 1.3 (for whatever reason) are mostly the same folk who won't upgrade to a more recent Tomcat version anyway.

--
Jess Holle

Shapira, Yoav wrote:

Hola,

"Write once, run anywhere" - why would you choose a target that will

not

run for a (significant) number of people, and try to force them to
choose between upgrading tomcat and upgrading other software ?

I don't think the number is significant. It's very subjective, and I have no empirical data, just opinion from the tomcat-user list. If someone could show, for example, that more than a tenth of Tomcat users run with JDK 1.3 in production, I'd be convinced me JDK 1.3 is still significant.

I completely agree WORA is essential, possibly the biggest advantage of
the Java language/platform.  But then why aren't we coding/building to
JDK 1.1 or J2ME?  It's a question of tradeoffs.  Maybe we should have a
vote on whether Tomcat 5.5 should require JDK 1.5?

and notify the sender.  Thank you.