Shapira, Yoav wrote:

Hola,

"Write once, run anywhere" - why would you choose a target that will

not

run for a (significant) number of people, and try to force them to
choose between upgrading tomcat and upgrading other software ?

I don't think the number is significant. It's very subjective, and I have no empirical data, just opinion from the tomcat-user list. If someone could show, for example, that more than a tenth of Tomcat users run with JDK 1.3 in production, I'd be convinced me JDK 1.3 is still significant.

I completely agree WORA is essential, possibly the biggest advantage of
the Java language/platform. But then why aren't we coding/building to
JDK 1.1 or J2ME? It's a question of tradeoffs. Maybe we should have a
vote on whether Tomcat 5.5 should require JDK 1.5?

Right now, my position is to use J2SE 1.4 APIs as needed, and to release the default bundle for J2SE 5.0 (with a separate bundle to add the JARs needed to run on J2SE 1.4).
All that keeping in mind that Tomcat can now be fully supported on a JRE rather than a JDK.

Overall, I'd say few people are going to upgrade to this new branch (but who knows, we don't even have numbers on how many people upgrade), so the J2SE requirement should have little impact.

Rémy