From: news [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Costin Manolache
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2004 12:02 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: contrib directory

Garrison, Meg wrote:
> Hi Leslie,
>
> I'm also willing to maintain the HP OpenVMS scripts.  Rather than
> create a whole new project (tomcat-contrib) maybe it would be possible

> for the Tomcat folks to grant us commit access to a single
> module/folder in their CVS library (a contrib folder of some sort).
> Then they wouldn't have to worry about committing our changes, etc..
> If we misbehave and don't follow their rules, then they have the
option to "boot us out".
> That's how the NetBeans project does it.  For example, I have commit
> powers in the core module, which is where the OpenVMS launcher lives,
> but no other.  Our needs for NetBeans (as yours, I'm sure) require
> that the default Tomcat distribution contain our launcher
> somewhere...it doesn't have to be in /bin.

It would be a good idea, but I don't think it is possible at the moment.

Commit access requires a unix account on a machine, at least for cvs.
Even if this could be solved - there are non-technical problems, ASF
requires a CLA, and a certain review and oversight process.

Ant has an ant-contrib project on sourceforge ( including few ant
committers ). Maybe we should have a tomcat-contrib as well. This would
be a good idea even for committers - there is experimental stuff and
code that is not necesarily "servlet container" but is tomcat related (
like non-http servers, etc ).

Costin