[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

3) Cygwin is definatley NOT a good platform for testing Linux bugs on.

However testing with all possible linux distributions is not a good choice either.

And distributions based on 'latest' version of everything plus all kind of experimental/non stable/vendor specific stuff - like fedora - are not the best choice for a supported platform.

Can you reproduce it on RHEL or RH9 ?  If not - report the bug on fedora.

4) Do you want to tell the Fedora guys that the Tomcat developers official view of Fedora Core 2 is that its' a "crappy distro"?

It is not 'official view' - but some developers have issues with FC :-)

5) Do you expect me to re-install my system just to get Tomcat working?,
It's easier to replace Tomcat with Jetty than it would be to resintall
my machine with one of the distros that you don't consider "crappy"

I believe a lot of products ( and not only java ) officially support only few distributions. We can't ask you to re-install your system - but you can't ask us to reinstall and test your favorite distro either. There are just too many incompatible linux distributions.

If jetty works on your linux distro - just use it. It's a fine open source product. Or you can use resin or any other server.

Now I'd like to help resolve this, but at the moment all I'm seeing is a
wall of "not interesting, can't be bothered, lets' mark it as invalid
because I can't reproduce on my own personal setup". Which kinda

Probably the comments should be more explicit - like 'unsupported platform / not reproductible on supported platforms '.