Um... make that 'sentence' and 'endeavor' and 'verbiage' and 'language'.

(oops)

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy LaMora [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, October 27, 2000 09:37
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: Ben P. Souther
Subject: RE: Disapointment (way, way off topic) - even further! (last
one)

It could be argued that any person who reads through this thread and isn't
rolling in gales of laughter lacks a pulse.

If you bother to read the many posts related to this subject, you'll find at
least two useful and informative answers.

I tempered my own flame with a recount of how we solved that problem.

But for the record: I believe I am correct.  If you disagree, make sure
you're referring to the original sentance, and not my *fragment* example
(which was perhaps chosen poorly?).

Since the pursuit of concise expression is hardly a wasteful endeavour,
whether the subject is language or coding, here is a technical diagnosis of
this sentance.

A verb must agree in number with the subject.  Compound subjects joined with
"and" require a plural verb.  BUT, a subject followed by a phrase, and not
another subject item, is NOT a plural subject, and the verbage should be
singular.

This sentance is difficult to classify owing to the haphazard usage of
plural 'documents' and singular 'list'.  Either of those could be argued to
be reasonable translation:

Neither the tomcat literature NOR this mailing list HAS been a helpful
resource.
[note substitution of singular "literature" for the plural "documents"]

- or -

The tomcat literature AND this mailing list HAVE NOT been helpful resources.
[in this one "both" is implied]

So while either might be reasonable, the latter is probably the best choice,
given the lack of consistent usage of the singular, and use of "and" (as
opposed to 'phraseish' langaguage like 'as well as').

Stylistically, the former example is better.

If anyone has an informative argument to the contrary, I'd love to hear it
so I don't beak the next standardized test somebody throws at me.  But
please respond to me directly so we can kill this thread and get back to
Tomcat.

Enjoy!

Andy  [EMAIL PROTECTED]