I posted the same question last week and the response was, in a nutshell, not for version 3.1 since it relies on the version of the xml parser that comes with it.  For 3.2, you can change the classpath in the startup script and place your xml parser in front of theirs, but that is not acceptable to me.  For v4.x, there will be a way, but I just downloaded the latest milestone of Tomcat v4 (milestone 4), and I am having a problem running my web app as-is.  Since it is a beta, documentation is scarce, so I guess I we just need to hack around until an answer is found :-(

Good luck,
Dan

--
"Sometimes I wish I could be you, just so I could be friends with me."
                -- Agelica Pickles