here are the exact steps for building apache with ssl. if you copy and past this, your apache build will work, get the software from modssl.org, openssl.org and apache.org
--------------------------cut here----------------------------------
this script has to hard coded things
--prefix and the setenv SSL_BASE

gunzip apache_1.3.12.tar.gz
tar -xvf apache_1.3.12.tar

gunzip openssl-0.9.5a.tar.gz
tar -xvf openssl-0.9.5a.tar.gz

gunzip mod_ssl-2.6.6-1.3.12.tar.gz
tar -xvf mod_ssl-2.6.6-1.3.12.tar

cd apache_1.3.12
./configure --prefix=/home/pakana/apache

cd ../openssl-0.9.5a
./config --prefix=/home/pakana/ssl
make
make test
make install

cd ../mod_ssl-2.6.6-1.3.12
./configure --with-apache=../apache_1.3.12

cd ../apache_1.3.12
setenv SSL_BASE ../openssl-0.9.5a

./configure \
--enable-module=ssl \