Dion,
I am not doing the full combination you gave, but I *am* succeeding with
my own app + SSL using Tomcat 3.2.1 in standalone mode (your problem #1).
In my case, I am succeeding on AIX 4.3.3 with IBM's JDK 1.3 (and I'm
failing on Linux, but that's another story, elsewhere in this mailing
list).  I am not using symlinks, so I can't speak to your exact
circumstances.  Have you tried restructuring your directories to be
completely vanilla?  A bit more complete details on your server.xml and
directory/link structure would indeed be helpful to anyone trying to
figure this out.  I suspect you can expect a redirect anytime you ask for
"foo" and expect to get "foo/index.html".

Good luck,
Mike