I agree with Nix, use a connection pool.
One connection per user may be ok when you've got, say, 5 concurrent users but when you've got 1000, 10000, .... Not scalable.

http://tomcatfaq.sourceforge.net/database.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html

Jon

john-paul delaney wrote:

Hello List... newbie question coming up:

If I set up a jdbc connection object in one servlet, do I have to close it each time or can the same connection be re-utilized by other servlets each using a different sql statement (perhaps storing the connection as a session attribute?).

Is there a significant resource saving by not creating a JDBC connection object for each database access?

I'm thinking of storing a connection for each user in the session, as opposed to pooling - primarily because I'm not sure how a database pool works nor how to set it up. Should I do a re-think on this?

I'm using one postgresql 7.3.3

thanks
/j-p.