Past history in lab benchmarks of apache vs *any* java based web server either one would win different tests. For a single user slamming a webserver as fast as it can java webservers sometimes had better throughout.

Where apache really starts winning with respect to speed is in the real world environment. We receive many requests from RFC1918 addresses for a public site I maintain. (RFC1918 specifies reserved ip addresses). Also lots of wacky packet conditions occur in the wild too. When those conditions are encountered, apache seems to handle them better than any java based web server.

With respect to scalability of concurrent users, apache also usually won too. But that level of scalability is not needed for A LOT of site.

The nicest thing about apache (IMO) is allowing you to keep it as a facade in front of your tomcat instances. That way, if you have a misbehaving (or high CPU) webapp - you can move that to another server transparently. It also allows you to use mod_headers, keep a single access log across all instances, and all the other modules out there.

-Tim

Shawn Zernik wrote:
It actually makes since. Most web servers are in native code which is
uasually faster, and tomcat is in java.