From: Jeff Tulley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, 13 August 2003 02:41
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: security hole on windows tomcat?

So this issue is confusing.  It seems that indeed there IS an issue,
though most cannot see a problem.
Talking to some people off-list, it seems that some think it is a JK2 /
workers2.properties issue.  But I'm pretty sure that others have seen
this going directly to port 8080.
We probably need to take a quick poll:

If you have seen this security problem of being able to view JSP
source, in what scenario(s)?

Tomcat version
OS version
Directly to Tomcat ("8080") or through Apache - JK or JK2?
(If you've seen the problem, please include your workers or
workers2.properties file, with a .txt extension)
Browser version(s)
url's where this was seen or not seen

If you have seen this in multiple scenarios, and not in others, please
list each separately.

I have NOT seen it in the following scenarios:

Tomcat 4.1.18, 4.1.24, 4.1.26, 4.1.27
Windows 2000 5.00.2195 Service Pack 4
Directly to port 8080
Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 with all security patches up to date
I tried  http://(url):8080/index.jsp%20

Tomcat 4.1.18, 4.1.24, 4.1.26, fairly standard distributions (only
adding one JNDIRealm beyond the default config)
Novell NetWare 6.5
Directly to port 8080, and through Apache - mod_jk.nlm
Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 with all security patches up to date
I tried  http://(url):8080/index.jsp%20 and
https://(url)/tomcat/admin/index.jsp%20

Hopefully this mail gets through; I haven't been seeing my emails show
up on tomcat-user for some reason (I un/resubscribed today...)

It would be really good to get to the bottom of this!

Jeff Tulley  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
(801)861-5322
Novell, Inc., The Leading Provider of Net Business Solutions
http://www.novell.com

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 8/12/03 6:02:55 AM >>>
can you turn on debugging for the default servlet(conf/web.xml) and
also
turn on the requestdumpervalve(server.xml) and post the log.