I guess the real question is why are you concerned with when the
requests are GC'd.

Left to it's own devices, GC usually only happens when the JVM
is using almost all of the allocated memory.  Therefore, the
more memory allocated, the longer till GC and the longer GC will
last.

If you are trying to get it to run more often so that it takes
less time, take a look at 1.4.2.

--- Bill Barker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At least in Tomcat, the HttpRequests aren't short-lived ;-).
> If you are
> using Sun's JVM, then I'd try -Xincgc first (otherwise,
> consult your
> vendor's docs for the correct option).  In many cases it hurts
> performance,
> but in some it improves it dramatically.  Your mileage may
> vary ;-).
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Hi all.
> > I am trying to get gc to reclaim more regularly by clearing
> short live
> > HttpRequest. Is this syntax corrrect, doesn't seem to do
> much whichever
> > way I tweak it :
> > (catalina.sh)
> > JAVA_OPTS="-Xms256m -Xmx256m -XX:NewSize=128m
> -XX:MaxNewSize=128m"
> >
> > TIA :-)

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > For additional commands, e-mail: