John Turner wrote:

AFAIK, Lucene indexes files. How then, do you index a dynamic site? The only files that exist on a dynamic site are source code files. Servlets would never be indexed...how then do you index the content returned from the servlet? Can Lucene do this?

Lucene is not a search engine, but an API for writing a search engine, so it can do everything that you can write in Java. By itself it does nothing, like the JDK.

In my case I've implemented a search engine that gets local files and hands them to the Lucene Indexer, but that could also be implemented so that it retrieves files via HTTP.

I can only recommend Lucene, it is vastly superior to any pre-packaged search engine, because you do not depend on specific features or behavior, but can customize everything to your needs.

Ulrich