Ulrich Mayring wrote:

John Turner wrote:

Ulrich Mayring wrote:

I can only recommend Lucene, it is vastly superior to any pre-packaged search engine, because you do not depend on specific features or behavior, but can customize everything to your needs.

Assuming you have time, money, skills, etc. to do so, which is not always the case.

Skills is the key issue. It took me all of one week to write our own custom search engine and I doubt that anyone would be able to install and configure a third-party product any faster than that. I had no prior exposure to Lucene, but of course knew my way around Java.

Hmmm...I had Atomz working for several clients by lunch one day. ;) I'm not arguing, just emphasizing that some of us are not Java developers. Granted, the question was somewhat in a context of "using Java" and not "using Tomcat", but not every Tomcat user is a developer.

John