From: Jon Wingfield [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2003 9:57 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Urgent! Cannot start Tomcat - java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

Most JVMs limit the number of concurrent threads that can be created.
That will be the OutOfMemoryError. As to why it is happening: Have you
tweaked the server.xml settings for min/maxProcessors? Have you upped
things like ulimit before the power outage and are now reset?

Denise Mangano wrote:

> Hi all.  I am running Apache 1.3.28, mod_jk 1.2, Tomcat 4.1.27 on a RH

> Linux 7.3 box with j2sdk 1.4.2.  We had a power outage last night, and

> I have been trying to restart Tomcat and Apache, but Tomcat will not
> start.  I have tried searching the archives, but I can't seem to
> figure out where to start with trying to fix this problem.  Any help
> is GREATLY appreciated... It's urgent that I get this up and running
> asap.  This is the output from my catalina.out:
>
> Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
> Apache Tomcat/4.1.27
> Sep 19, 2003 9:01:25 AM
> org.apache.struts.util.PropertyMessageResources
> <init>
> INFO: Initializing, config='org.apache.struts.util.LocalStrings',
> returnNull=true
> Sep 19, 2003 9:01:25 AM
org.apache.struts.util.PropertyMessageResources
> <init>
> INFO: Initializing, config='org.apache.struts.action.ActionResources',
> returnNull=true
> Sep 19, 2003 9:01:26 AM
org.apache.struts.util.PropertyMessageResources
> <init>
> INFO: Initializing,
> config='org.apache.webapp.admin.ApplicationResources', returnNull=true
> Exception during startup processing
>         at

> a:39)
>         at

> Impl.java:25)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)
> Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native
> thread
>         at java.lang.Thread.start(Native Method)
>         at

org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.<init>(ThreadP
> ool.java:582)
>         at

org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool.openThreads(ThreadPool.java:46
> 0)
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool.start(ThreadPool.java:179)
>         at

org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.startEndpoint(PoolTcpEndpoint
> .java:300)
>         at
> org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol.start(Http11Protocol.java:161)
>         at

org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector.start(CoyoteConnector.java:118
> 0)
>         at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:506)
>         at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:2190)
>         at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:512)