Yes, that looks fine to me.

I think now you have to consider the other tip like
- run fsck
- Reinstall java
- Reinstall tomcat (but I can't believe that this really helps)

if that doesn't help it getting hard, as there is some knowledge
required. (I would try to play with strace to find out what the
exact system call is that causes the failure, but as you say you
are a newby that's quite hard (and there is no garanty that you
will see anything usefull))