On Thu, October 2, 2003 at 9:44 am, Joe Zendle sent the following

> We have 10 days until we go GA. We are experiencing periodic and regular
> lockups of Tomcat.  We are testing on a machine that is fairly loaded
> with background work (about 50% cpu). Our web app is accessed by very
> few users so Tomcat per se, is not under load handling requests. After
> say 10-12 hours of browser inactivity, when attempting to login we get
> the BASIC Auth prompt, we enter our credentials and then tomcat hangs
> while loading our index.jsp. The request never completes.
>
> I've attached our configuration. Please let me know if there is anything
> that looks wrong.
>
> We,re using:
> Tomcat 4.1.27
> Java 1.4.2
> Redhat 9.0
>
> Also, what kind of settings can I apply to help debug the problem
> effectively.
>
> BTW, I've seen similar complaints on this mailing list but no
> suggestions :-). Please help!

Last time I saw similar hangs it was a bug in my application.  When you
notice that Tomcat hangs, send it a QUIT signal and take a look at the
output.  You've probably got a thread in an infinite loop somewhere stuck
inside of a synchronized section.

-Dave