From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Tomcat-User'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 2:06 PM
Subject: Re: Tomcat hanging!! About to change container!! Please help!!

Joe Zendle> We have 10 days until we go GA. We are experiencing
Joe Zendle> periodic and regular lockups of Tomcat.  We are testing on
Joe Zendle> a machine that is fairly loaded with background work
Joe Zendle> (about 50% cpu). Our web app is accessed by very few users
Joe Zendle> so Tomcat per se, is not under load handling
Joe Zendle> requests. After say 10-12 hours of browser inactivity,
Joe Zendle> when attempting to login we get the BASIC Auth prompt, we
Joe Zendle> enter our credentials and then tomcat hangs while loading
Joe Zendle> our index.jsp. The request never completes.

Joe Zendle> Also, what kind of settings can I apply to help debug the
Joe Zendle> problem effectively.

This may help in debugging.  Fixing is another story.

During one of your periods of inactivity, send a few SIGQUITs to the
jvm (eg - "kill -QUIT <TOMCAT_PID>").

In CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out you'll see a series of stack traces
(thread dumps).  Use these to get an idea of what an "idle" server
looks like.

Then, get tomcat to hang.  Send a few more SIGQUITs.  Look for threads
that weren't in your previous listing, but appear after the hang
occurred.  One of these is probably the culprit.

Once you have an idea about where the problem is occurring, figuring
out the why may be a little easier.

Good luck ...

--
Steve