Static classes should be avoided as a general practice since they can may have classloading issues and painful side effects. See the archives for more detail. Static classes do work but they might have pitfalls depending on changing containers or deployment strategies.

-Tim

Tom Lyle wrote:

In fact, you can have one object in your servletContext which
holds ALL of your data.

I see how this approach works, but does it have any advantages over using
one object that has static methods to access its data? For example I have a
Config class that has a static initialisation block that reads data in from
a properties file and then exposes the data with static methods, such as
Config.getSomeValue()

This does the job for me and means i can test my code in my IDE without
deploying it to tomcat. Is there a good reason for not doing it this way?
Just my after lunch thoughts.....

Tom