BTW: I am using 4.1.27 on Windows 2000 and we're
trying to connect to a Windows 2003 AD. Has this
changed at all?

here is the error trace:

Catalina.start: LifecycleException:  Exception opening
directory server connecti
on:  javax.naming.CommunicationException:
localhost:389 [Root exception is java.
net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect]
LifecycleException:  Exception opening directory
server connection:  javax.namin
g.CommunicationException: localhost:389 [Root
exception is java.net.ConnectExcep
tion: Connection refused: connect]

It keeps saying localhost:389 and I clearly don't have
it in the Realm. Here is my setup.

<Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm"
                         debug="99"
                         connectionName="cn=TomcatRole,dc=vo,dc=net"
                         connectionPassword="*******"
                         connectionURL="ldap://orlmsdc001:389";
                         digest="MD5"
                         roleBase="dc=roles,dc=vo,dc=net"
                         roleName="cn"
                         roleSearch="(uniqueMember={0})"
                         roleSubtree="True"
                         userPassword="*******"
                         userPattern="cn={0},dc=vacationsonly,dc=net"  />