1) For simplicity, did you coment out the UserDatabaseRealm when placing your JDBCRealm at the same level?

2) Make sure the & are encoded as & Otherwise - you xml document is not valid.

-Tim

Caroline Jen wrote:

I encountered this problem:

I followed the instructions on using the JDBCRealm
(http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/realm-howto.html).
I prepared userTable and userRoleTable tables. However, I could not start the Tomcat server after I
inserted

[CODE]
<Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm"
debug="99"
driverName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/artimus?user=javauser&password=javadude"
userTable="members" userNameCol="user_name"
userCredCol="user_password"
userRoleTable="user_roles"
roleNameCol="user_role"/>
[/CODE]

within the <Engine> tag in the
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml file.

I first inserted the aforementioned Realm within the
<context> tag in the $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml
and I was unable to start the Tomcat server.  I then
moved the Realm inside the <Engine> tag, but it did
not help.

By the way, do you think the user and password given
in the JDBCRealm are correct? I configured database
username and password for use by Tomcat in the
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml in the following way
and I have used this database many times without
problem.