Thanks for your reply.  I tried the following:

1) I put <!-- and --> around the UserDababaseRealm
shown below:

<!--
<Realm
className="org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm"
                 debug="0"
resourceName="UserDatabase"/>
-->

2) I removed the <!-- and --> around the JDBCRealm for
MySql (I did not insert any of my code, I simply use
the existing code in the server.xml) and I do not see
any & in that section of code.  See below:

<Realm
className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm"
debug="99"
  driverName="org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver"
  connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost/authority"
  connectionName="test" connectionPassword="test"
  userTable="users" userNameCol="user_name"
                     userCredCol="user_pass"
  userRoleTable="user_roles" roleNameCol="role_name"
/>

I saved the file and I could not start the Tomcat
server.

I then reverted everything back, the Tomcat server
works as normal.  Wondering what is going on?

-Caroline

(http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/realm-howto.html).
> >  I prepared userTable and userRoleTable tables.
> > However, I could not start the Tomcat server after
> > inserted
> >
> > [CODE]
> > <Realm
> className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm"
> > debug="99"
> >     driverName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"

connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/artimus?user=javauser&password=javadude"