You need to put your custom realm in server/lib. That is because the common classloader cannot see the server classloader and your Realm extends a class in the server classloader.

-Tim

Sasha Borodin wrote:
I've written a custom Realm implementation, JAR'ed it up, and have been
trying to understand it's proper habitat:

1.  If I put it $CATALINA_HOME/server/lib - everything works
2.  If I put it $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib - I get an exception:
        java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/catalina/realm/RealmBase

I thought that JAR's in common/lib were accessible to both server and
webapps.  What am I missing?