Without more information about your setup it's difficult to guess...
Could you send any configurations you changed from the defaults?

Some wild guesses:
- Your HTTPConnectionHandler still uses the default port 8080 instead of
80.
>From the default server.xml:
        <!-- Normal HTTP -->
        <Connector
className="org.apache.tomcat.service.PoolTcpConnector">
                        <Parameter name="handler"
value="org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler"/>
            <Parameter name="port" value="8080"/>
        </Connector>
Change the 8080 to 80

- You changed the port of the Ajp12ConnectionHandler to 80 instead of
the HttpConnectionHandler...

- On the production server, tomcat does not have the rights to open port
80.  On unix the application needs root access to open ports < 1024

Luc Vanlerberghe