Howdy,

>> Log4j does have these feature.  The <Logger> elements in tomcat's
>> server.xml are not log4j loggers, they are proprietary tomcat
loggers.

>       And There is no way to exchange tomcat Logger with log4j ones? I
>would hope to do something like :

No, because log4j loggers don't implement the org.apache.catalina.Logger
interface.  A bridging implementation is possible (i.e. a thin wrapper
around org.apache.log4j.FileAppender that implements
org.apache.catalina.Logger) but not trivial.

>> Most
>> of the people on the tomcat-user list are developers anyways.  The
>> tomcat-dev list is for tomcat developers to discuss internal tomcat
>> matters.
>
>Yes, but modifying org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger is clearly a
>tomcat developer concept :). Of course, if I could, I would. I remember

Not for this list, it's not.  Many tomcat users modify/extend/create
their own Loggers, Valve, Manager, and other tomcat plug-ins.

>discussion about making log4j a standard Logger for all Jakarta
project,
>but perhaps was it a log4j developer wish.

There is a move to replace tomcat's proprietary Loggers with
commons-logging equivalents.  It's nearly completely done in tomcat 5.

>I'm open to nay other opinion about this concern.

There's also the XSL approach you mentioned earlier.  You could
pre-process server.xml yourself with xslt (e.g. via Ant's xslt task).
You would have to write the xsl stylesheet, there isn't one already
available AFAIK.  The XSL would match the <Logger> pattern and replace
tokens in it with what you specify.

Yoav Shapira

and notify the sender.  Thank you.