From: Florian Ebeling [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: October 17, 2003 12:32 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Tomcat 4.0.x

Hi,

I'm trying to find an ancient 4.0 to do some experimenting. The download
sites seem to have abandoned this release alltogether. Does anybody
knows of a source for this thing?

Thanks,
-Florian

Justin Ruthenbeck wrote:

At 06:12 PM 10/16/2003, you wrote:

Running Tomcat 4.1.27, I'm currently deploying via the "install" task
in the Ant script supplied with Tomcat, so all my files reside outside
of the Tomcat directory.  Otherwise, everything's pretty normal
(Tomcat resides in C:\tomcat).

Just for curiosity's sake, could I find out what methods there are
(instead of only what someone thinks is best?).  6 months down the
road my situation might change (this is still in development & real
deployment might be different) and it'd be nice to know what my
options are.  Suggestions for which method is best are of course still
welcome.

You basically have two options:

(1) Write the file and directly reference it. For example, if

you write

your file into $TOMCAT/webapps/appname/myfile.html, then you can point
your browser directly to it and it can download.  If you always deploy
your app exploded (not as a .war), then this is fine because

you can use

java's java.io.* classes to directly write to your filesystem.  This
method limits your deployment options.  There's some way to construct
the filesystem path to your webapp root through the javax.servlet.*
classes, but I forgot what it is -- instead, pass the value in as an
init parameter (jndi, servet init param, outside config file -- take
your pick) to your servlet.  It would be something like:

// In your servlet
String webAppRoot = MyConfig.getWebAppRootPath();
File file = new File(webAppRoot+"/myfile.html");
// Write whatever data you want to the File

(2) Write the file (anywhere), then make it available to users

through a

Servlet which serves the content. Instead of writing a

physical file to

your webapp file tree, create a servlet that takes an argument
specifying which file the user desires.  An example URL would look like:

http://server.com/myApp/NewFileServlet?path=reports.cash.mostRecent

This Servlet would take into account session info, the path parameter,
security considerations, etc, to find the correct file and

serve it back

to the user.  This gives you the choice to store the file anywhere --
database, xml, remote server, anywhere -- and then serve it

back up when

requested.

You also avoid any deployment problems because you're not

relying on the

underlying filesystem to support your application's new files.

Hope that sheds some light on the topic ... (1) is quicker and easier, (2) is more robust and flexible, but is more involved to implement. Take your pick based on whatever other requirements you have. If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

justin

Thanks
Jason

Justin Ruthenbeck wrote:

Yes, it is possible.  Give us an idea of your deployment setup (are
you deploying as a .war file?  Using default root paths?  Anything
special?) and we can suggest the best way to go about doing it.

justin