It seems you have any non UTF-8 character in your server.xml. Check your file and search for accented or any other non ASCII characters.

You can also set the encoding of your xml file including the following statement at the beginning:

Changing ISO-8859-1 by the one you need. By default, if not included, the parser will suppose the encoding is UTF-8.

HTH,
Rodrigo Ruiz

Didier Wiroth wrote:

Hi,
I've created a custom server.xml when I try to start tomcat, tomcat fails
with this output:

Catalina.start: java.io.UTFDataFormatException: Invalid byte 1 of 1-byte
UTF-8 sequence.
java.io.UTFDataFormatException: Invalid byte 1 of 1-byte UTF-8 sequence.
       at org.apache.xerces.impl.io.UTF8Reader.invalidByte(Unknown Source)
       at org.apache.xerces.impl.io.UTF8Reader.read(Unknown Source)
       at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLEntityScanner.load(Unknown Source)
       at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLEntityScanner.scanContent(Unknown
Source)
       at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanContent(Unknown
Source)
       at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatc
her.dispatch(Unknown Source)
       at
Source)
Source)
       at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DTDConfiguration.parse(Unknown Source)
       at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1548)
       at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:449)
       at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:400)
       at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
       at
)
       at
.java:25)
       at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)

What does that mean?
Thanks