JSP/Servlet technology uses a solution called the HttpSession to overcome the
limitations of the stateless HTTP protocol.

Tomcat uses cookies to map a particular web user to his/her session object.
The developer can bind objects to a user's session object and then retrieve
them on subsequent hits from that user's browser.  The session-timeout
attribute allows you to explicitly set the length of your webapps sessions.
The default is 30 mins.

You're trying cancel a particular request.  I don't think that can be done in
tomcat (someone will correct me if I'm wrong). Even if it could, it would be
better to get to the root of the problem and fix that.

Try putting a bunch of System.out.println(" .... ") statements in your code,
tail the catalina log, and hit your app to find out which line of code is
causing it to hang.

The catalina.log file is in TOMCAT_HOME/logs.  All standard out and standard
error messages get routed to there by default.

The Unix tail command with the -f option will allow you to watch the logfile
as it is being written to, in real time.

-Ben