At 07:08 AM 11/25/2003, you wrote:
Ben,
Thanks for the reply. But I'm still unclear on why setting the timeout won't work for my situation. What is the difference between an effectively idle session timing out, and "cancelling" a request?

Of course I agree that fixing the root problem would be preferable, but it's extremely hard to diagnose. Putting in println's everywhere would in my case generate huge log file sizes, and I'll only try that as a last resort.

Can anyone suggest a different technique for simulating an "inactive" session, so that I can get <session-timeout> to work?

If your servlet is hanging, you need to find out what it's hanging on. Get a thread dump from your JVM when your server is hung (or your request is hung) and it should be obvious what is going on (thread dump commands vary by platform -- see your JVM docs). From what I've heard from you so far, this has absolutely nothing to do with session timeouts.

justin